Academic appeals

Page last updated:
08 Sep 2021

If you feel that you have in some way been disadvantaged during your studies and this is reflected in your results, then you may have grounds for an academic appeal.

There are four grounds of appeal, which are:

  1. Computational error
  2. Material procedural and administrative error
  3. Course management deficiencies
  4. Previously undisclosed extenuating circumstances

When submitting a request for an appeal hearing please select one or more of these grounds and include any relevant evidence available to you. For further guidance on each of the grounds please see Section 9.3 of the Academic Regulations Appeals.

You cannot submit a request for an appeal hearing until your results have been confirmed by a Module Board / Progression Board / Award Board. You have 15 working days after your results are available on Results Online in which to submit your request for an appeal hearing.

Frequently asked questions (FAQs)


You may find it useful to discuss your issues informally in the first instance. Discussing your marks with your personal tutor first is a good idea and can help to clear up any misunderstanding.

You can also contact the Students’ Union Advice Service by telephone on 0113 812 8400 or by email at The Students’ Union is a separate organisation from our university and they can offer impartial advice and support to students who are thinking of appealing.

The Casework team will be able to offer you advice about procedures and regulations for appeals, but they will not be able to help you fill out your form.


You need to complete an ‘Appeal hearing request’ form.

It is essential that you include ALL relevant information and evidence that relates to your appeal.

Please make clear what outcome you are seeking as a result of your academic appeal.

Once you have completed your form please return it, along with your evidence, to the Casework team. The email address and the postal address are on the form.


It is your responsibility to ensure that all the relevant information and evidence is included.

We will not be able to contact you either for clarification or regarding anything that you did not provide. The members of staff who consider your appeal will do so entirely on the form and evidence that you submit, so it is important that you make your case fully and clearly, and that you link your circumstances to why you are appealing.


Academic judgement is the opinion about a piece of work that can only be given by an academic expert. You cannot submit an appeal that questions academic judgement.


When you sit an exam or when you submit your assignments, you are declaring yourself ‘fit to sit / fit to submit’.

This means that if you have taken assessments and you appeal on the grounds of previously undisclosed extenuating circumstances, you will have to provide compelling reasons why it was not possible for you to use the normal mitigation process at the appropriate time. If you are unable to provide compelling reasons why you did not seek mitigation at the appropriate time, then it is likely that your appeal request will be rejected.


We aim to get a response to you about your appeal in 20 working days.

If your case is particularly complex, or if there is a particularly high number of appeal requests, you might receive your outcome later than this. The appeals process can involve detailed scrutiny of your case by a number of people.

We will endeavour to keep you informed about the progress of your appeal, but you can contact the Casework team after 20 working days to ask for an update if you have not received a response.


Your appeal documentation will have to be seen by a number of people, but this is always kept to the minimum required. We will only discuss the progress of your appeal with you, unless you have given us permission to speak with a representative, for example, a parent or a Students’ Union adviser.


If the academic year has started and you have not received the outcome of your appeal request, you will normally be entitled to attend your next level classes until your appeal request is complete. If your appeal request is rejected, you will no longer be entitled to attend those classes.


If you have received an award, you are entitled to graduate at the graduation ceremonies. If your classification is changed as a result of an appeal hearing, you will be issued with a new certificate and transcript.


If your appeal has been rejected, then you can submit a request for a review.

The review will be considered by a member of staff who has had no prior involvement in your case. If your review request is rejected, you can apply to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA) who will look at your case independently from our university.

Contact Student Casework 

The Student Casework team oversees the academic appeals process.

Looking for something else?

There's lots of helpful advice and guidance on our student information pages. Try searching if you know what you're looking for or if you're not sure where to go, you can browse our A-Z.