To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video


Money and Advice

Student Money

Covid-19 Updates

Plus Icon General

The University’s Summer Assistance Fund is currently opened to priority students, including those directly impacted by Covid-19 such as still in shielding or unable to return home for related medical reasons.  For more details about eligibility and to apply please go to the Summer Assistance Fund page

Our Student Money Advisers are available to support our students during the Covid-19 crisis. For specific advice for students affected financially by the crisis, please encourage your students to call 0113 812 5593 or request a call back via the link below.

Plus Icon Student Funding

Where parents' income has been affected by the Covid pandemic then you may be able to get an increase in your maintenance loan if you are not already getting the maximum amount.

If your parents' income falls by 15% or more in the coming year, they can ask for their current year income, ie. 2020/21 instead of 2018/19 income, to be taken into account when working out how much maintenance loan you can get  - Current Year Income

SFE contact centres are fully open. You may need to wait longer than usual to get through to them, so it may be worth checking to see if the answer to your question is in the SFE guidance below before calling.

SLC guidance for current students 
SLC guidance for prospective students 

Plus Icon Employment

If you have lost your job or you are not currently working and your employer cannot afford to pay you, they may still be able to class you as a ‘furloughed worker’, with the scheme extended until the end of September 2021. Under this scheme, your employer can claim a grant from the government for a proportion of your wages, up to a monthly cap of £2,500. Employees on zero-hour contracts are also included so it is worth getting in touch with your employer and see if they can help. You will need to have started your job before March 19th 2020 and have been on the PAYE payroll before this date. 

See here for the latest government guidance

Statutory Sick Pay 

Full-time students can get SSP as long as they meet the rules

You can get £94.25 per week Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) if you’re too ill to work. It’s paid by your employer for up to 28 weeks. 

If you are staying at home because of COVID-19 you can now claim SSP. This includes individuals who are caring for people in the same household and therefore have been advised to do a household quarantine. 

You need to have been earning an average of £118 per week. Agency workers can also get SSP. 

Plus Icon Accommodation

The Government has issued Guidance for Landlords and Tenants about eviction procedures during the current Covid pandemic.

You cannot be evicted without the Landlord following the correct legal procedures. Most private tenants are ‘assured shorthold tenants’. Shelter has a good guide and information about tenants rights.

For further guidance and support around this you can contact Leeds Beckett Student Union Advice Service.







Plus Icon Welfare Benefits

If you are currently receiving benefits, the standard allowance in Universal Credit and the basic element in Working Tax Credit has been increased by £20 per week on top of the planned annual uprating. This applies to all new and existing claims and has been extended until August 2021. This means that for a single Universal Credit claimant under 25, the standard allowance will increase from £215.77 to £307.84 per month.

Local Housing Allowance rates have increased to the 30th percentile of market rents. This will apply to all private renters who are new or existing Universal Credit housing element claimants, and to existing Housing Benefit claimants.

This page was last modified: 07/07/2021

Tell us what you think

Back to Top Button