Before you start

Image of students working on a group project around a table

There are many things you can do to make your transition to Leeds Beckett as smooth as possible. We have provided a guide to the top things to do before you start.

Need extra help? At the bottom of the page, you'll find lots of FAQs to help answer any queries you may have as well as a wide range of resources to help give you a great start.

Create an account in our online welcome site

Register and enrol in our Online Welcome site – this is where you officially register with us as a student. You are required to confirm your personal details, emergency contacts and provide information on how you will pay your fees.

You will also be required to upload copies of your valid passport, birth certificate, and if you are an overseas student, your visa documents. We are unable to accept driving licenses as a form of identification.

You will need to select the relevant document type and provide the document reference number, for example the passport number or birth certificate/adoption certificate application number.

Failure to do this will delay your enrolment and your student loan. Please note, your student loan should be paid 3-5 working days after your course has started and you’ve fully enrolled’. This is however, on the basis that you have completed your enrolment, as well as submitted and had all your ID verified via our Online Welcome system.

If you experience any issues enrolling, please contact

The entrance of Leslie Silver Library, City Campus

Upload a photo for your Campus Card (Student ID)

Your Campus Card is your Student ID, for proving your student status as well as allowing you access to campus, university buildings and our libraries.

In order to receive your card, upload a head and shoulders colour, passport style photo, with no filters or effects via Online Welcome by 5 September 2021*.

If you have uploaded a suitable photo by 5 September, your Student ID card will be posted to your term time address by Monday 20 September 2021. Please ensure your term-time address is correct in Online Welcome!

If uploaded a photo and have not received your campus card by Monday 20 September 2021, then you will be required to request a new card via our campus card request form.

*Please note, if your course commences prior to Monday 20 September, you will receive your card in advance of this date, providing a suitable photo has been uploaded and your term time address is up to date in Online Welcome.

Further guidance on suitable photographs

The photo you upload must adhere to the following guidelines:

  • Be similar to a passport photo (not a photo of your passport)
  • Be a headshot
  • Be a recent photo
  • Be a colour photo
  • It must contain only you in the frame
  • Filters must not be applied - e.g. Snapchat
  • You must be facing forwards
  • Don’t forget to smile!

For a full range of FAQS visit our dedicated Campus card page.

Student money: what you need to know

Have your finances in place! - Apply for your student loan now (UK only)

You can apply up to nine months after the start of your course. Please note, your student loan should be paid 3-5 working days from your course start date. This is however, on the basis that you have completed your enrolment, as well as submitted and had all your ID verified via our Online Welcome system.

If you need any help with applying for your student loan, the Student Loans Company (SLC) have created special guidance and FAQS.

If you are having problems with your student finance, you can access help and support from the Money Advice team. Money Advice can also support you in applying for bursaries and scholarships.

International students can learn more about tuition fees and scholarships on the Course Fees and Living Costs page in our international students section.

Image of students using library computers

Free Microsoft Office 365

There is no need to purchase a personal copy of Office 365. You can access free copies of Office 365 for up to five devices once you’ve enrolled.

Image of a student working on a laptop

Buying your own computer or laptop

During the year the Library and Student IT Advice team talk to lots of students who have problems with the devices they own. We're not saying you have to buy a specific device whilst you study here at Leeds Beckett University, but we thought it would be helpful to give you an idea of what to think about before buying something.

Image of students in a lab

Complete our 'Study Ready' module

This module will introduce you to what it's like to study at Leeds Beckett. On the log in page of MyBeckett click on LBU Study Ready - there’s no need to login.

Download your induction timetable

Your timetable can be downloaded via our Online Welcome site.

Course induction is compulsory for all students, it ensures you receive all the key information you need to begin your studies. It is also a great opportunity to meet your course team, meet new friends, and find out more about the wide range of resources and services available to you.

Timetables will be made available to students during induction week via the student portal (MyBeckett) and the Leeds Beckett app.

Your course team will talk you through when and how to access it. You should discuss any difficulties relating to your engagement with timetabled sessions with your Course Administrator.

Know your accommodation team

If you have decided to live in university managed accommodation and been offered a place, you should have received confirmation of this from our accommodation team. If you haven't sorted your accommodation yet, don't worry, there are still rooms available and our accommodation team can support you with this process. Need to know what to bring? No problem, we’ve created a useful list.

Accommodation Team


We know there will be lots of questions you’ll have and we’re here to help. Start by taking a look at our frequently asked questions below, and if you can’t find what you’re looking for, don’t hesitate to contact us at


You need to provide an original valid passport, your birth or adoption certificate to complete your ID Check.

We do not accept driving licenses as a form of identification.

If you are unable to provide any of these original documents, we will usually accept a certified copy. Find out about how to get a document certified at

If you do have any queries regarding suitable documentation, please contact for further assistance.

Image of students taking handwritten notes in a lecture theatre

If you are an International student with a student visa or other type of UK immigration document, you will be invited to complete your mandatory 'International Check-In' (passport and visa check) either online or by a face-to-face appointment, depending upon your circumstances. The Student Immigration Advice & Compliance (SIAC) team will email you more information about this nearer to your arrival in the UK

Further information can be found on the International Student pages.

Male postgraduate student at first direct arena

If you have, or think you may have, a disability which will affect your ability to study or physically access our university, please contact us before you arrive so that we can start discussing your support needs.

Our Disability Advice team are available to help you. Support is available to students with a range of disabilities and long-term conditions such as dyslexia, dyspraxia, a mental health condition (e.g. anxiety or depression), a long-term health condition (e.g. epilepsy, IBS, diabetes, etc.), autism, a physical or a sensory condition.

To find out more about the support that is available, you can book an appointment with a Disability Adviser and receive assistance with the Disabled Students’ Allowance application via the Disability Advice team Page.

The sooner you contact us, the earlier we can arrange to put support into place in time for starting your course.

Abstract art in front of James Graham Building on Headingley Campus

Beyond your student loan, you may also be eligible for one of our scholarships or bursaries.

We also have the living expenses support scheme (Hardship Fund.)

If you fall into financial hardship or anticipate financial hardship and other funds are not available to meet essential living costs, you can apply for a non-repayable award from our hardship fund.

If you cannot meet day-to-day living costs such as rent, food, bills etc, because you have lost income or cannot get part time work, or have relied on family support which has now reduced, you can apply for a mean tested award of between £100 and £3,500.

The award will be dependent upon circumstances and family income, and current home students can apply. Please note that awards cannot be guaranteed as funds are limited and we are unable to provide any support towards payment of tuition fees.

Non-UK students can view financial information on the International Course Fees and Living Costs page in the International students section.

Abstract image of student art work

If you are a US or Canadian student, there is lots of support available to guide you through each individual stage of your pre-arrival and arrival process. We want to make sure your transition to Leeds Beckett is as smooth as possible. However, we do appreciate the student loan process can be confusing, so have put together some useful information and guidance on our US and Canadian Loans pages.

If you do require further assistance though, please contact our US and Canadian Loans team on or call 0113 812 6701. If you are a new student to Leeds Beckett, our US Loans Officer will also contact you to arrange an individual 1-1 meeting.

Image of students in the refectory having food from the Chicken Shack

Make sure you have visited your GP at home before you arrive to have the MenACWY and MMR vaccines; these help protect you against Meningitis and Measles, Mumps and Rubella. All first time university students under the age of 25 and some 17 and 18 year olds are eligible for the vaccine. You can check your eligibility online.

Image of a female student sticking textures onto paper for screen printing

Contact Student Advice

We are located in the Student Services Centres in the Leslie Silver building (City Campus) and Priestley Hall (Headingley Campus). Our opening times are 09:00 - 17:00, Monday to Thursday and 09:00 - 16:30 on Friday.