To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web browser that supports HTML5 video


Plus Icon How To Apply

The method you use to apply depends on the type of course you want to study.

If you want to study a full time undergraduate course (e.g. BA or BSc), you will need to apply via UCAS.

Applications to study undergraduate courses that have part time or by distance learning routes should be made directly to the university using our Applicant Portal.

If you want to study a taught postgraduate course (e.g. MA, MSc), you will normally apply directly to the university using our Applicant Portal. There are some exceptions to this which are listed below, along with the route to apply through

  • Teacher Training (PGCE) - UCAS Teacher Training
  • MA Social Work - UCAS
  • PG Dip / LLM Legal Practice (Full Time study) – Central Applications Board
  • Graduate Diploma in Law / Master of Laws England and Wales (Full Time study) - Central Applications Board
  • PG Cert Therapeutic Play Skills / PG Dip Play Therapy / MA Practice Based Play Therapy – Apply directly to PTUK
  • MA International Communication – Apply directly to the Geerte Hofstede Consortium

To ensure you are applying via the correct method, please find your chosen course using our Course Finder, and then once on the course page, use the button marked ‘Click here to apply’ to be directed to the correct application method.

Research awards (e.g. PhD) are handled by our University Research Office. For information on applying to a research award please see 'how to apply'.

If you want to discuss your suitability for a particular course before making an application, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to advise you.

Plus Icon Accepting Your Offer
Full-Time Undergraduate Applications (UCAS)

If we have made you an unconditional offer via UCAS and you then choose us as your firm or insurance choice, this will automatically update on your UCAS Track as Unconditional Firm Accept (UFA) or Unconditional Insurance Accept (UIA).

If we have made you a conditional offer via UCAS and you then choose us as your firm or insurance choice, this will become Conditional Firm (CF) or Conditional Insurance (CI) on UCAS Track. When we receive confirmation that you have satisfied the conditions of your offer we will inform UCAS who will update your Track to Unconditional Firm Accept (UFA) or Unconditional Insurance Accept (UIA).

Part Time Undergraduate and Postgraduate applications (Apply Online)

If you made an online application directly to the university and we have made you an unconditional offer, you will then be able to accept your place through your Application Portal account. If you have unconditional offers for more than one course, you will need to choose which one to accept.

If you made an online application directly to the university and we have made you a conditional offer, you will need to provide evidence you have met the conditions of your offer, for example your degree certificate or a written reference. You are able to upload this information to the conditions in your Application Portal account or send this information as an email attachment to

Plus Icon Sending Your Results

If you have a conditional offer we will need to see your results when you have completed the qualifications you are currently studying. For UCAS applications we receive most of these results automatically, so if you are studying any of the following qualifications you will not usually need to provide results yourself:

  • A levels
  • AS levels
  • Advanced Diploma
  • BTEC qualifications
  • Certificate of Personal Effectiveness (CoPE)
  • Diploma in Foundation Studies;
  • Extended Project
  • Key Skills
  • Scottish qualifications

For most other qualifications (for example GCSEs, Degrees) you will need to send us proof of your results. Usually the easiest way is to email a scanned copy of your certificate or transcript. The e-mail addresses to use are;

UCAS (Full Time Undergraduate) applications -

Direct (Part Time Undergraduate and all Postgraduate and Distance Learning) applications -

If you are having trouble providing results, or if you are not sure whether you need to, please contact us to discuss this.

Plus Icon What can I do if my Application is Unsuccessful?

If your application is unsuccessful we will usually provide a reason why. You will be able to see this on UCAS Track or on your Applicant Portal account. If you think there has been an error (e.g. if you have a qualification which you think we have not taken into account) or are unclear about the reason, you can contact us to discuss this, which may lead to us reconsidering your application.

Plus Icon Transferring

If you are currently studying at another university and would like to apply to transfer to a course at our University, you will need to make a new application to us. This would be via UCAS for a full-time undergraduate course or via the Applicant Portal for postgraduate or part-time undergraduate. Please make sure you include details of your current course, including marks and module details, and to specify the correct point of entry (e.g. Point of Entry 2 if you are applying to start on year 2 of a full time undergraduate course).

We cannot guarantee that we will be able to accommodate your request to transfer; therefore it is recommended that applicants wait until they have been offered a place before taking any further action regarding their current situation.

You will be required to complete our Recognition of Prior Learning process through which we will assess the learning you have completed against the learning you would have completed on the modules you will be exempt from on our course. More details can be found on our Recognition of Prior Learning pages.

If you are currently a student at our University and want to transfer to another course here, you will not usually need to make a new application but may be required to complete the RPL process to transfer modules across the two courses. Please contact the student administration team for the course you want to join in order to discuss transfer options.

Plus Icon Advanced Entry

If you have previously studied or are currently studying at higher education level we may be able to consider you for advanced entry.  You may want to apply to join the second or third year of one of our undergraduate courses if you are studying a similar course elsewhere or you may have completed an HND or Foundation Degree and want to continue studying in a related area.

If you are unsure whether you are eligible for entry, please contact us to discuss your application and we will be happy to advise you.  You will also find helpful information on our Recognition of Prior Learning webpages.

We also have a number of top-up courses which are specifically designed for those who have already completed an HND or Foundation Degree and wish to top up to a full honours degree. Details of these courses can be found on the Course Finder.

For full-time top-up courses you should apply through UCAS, whereas for part-time/distance learning top-up courses use the Applicant Portal.

Plus Icon Mature Applicants and Non-Tariff Qualifications

In most cases applicants are required to meet the academic requirements specified on the Course Finder. However, if you are classed as a 'mature' applicant we may also be able to consider other qualifications and/or relevant experience not listed in the entry criteria, provided that this demonstrates the range of skills and attributes necessary for the course.

If you are unsure whether your experience and qualifications would be sufficient for entry, please contact the relevant admissions team with details of your qualifications and background and the course in which you are interested. It would be useful for you to email attachments or post copies of certificates and/or transcripts if you have them. We may then give you a decision in principle on whether you meet the criteria for entry onto the course.

If you are unsure whether you are eligible for entry, please contact us to discuss your application and we will be happy to advise you. You will also find helpful information on our Recognition of Prior Learning pages.

Please note that some courses may also use further selection criteria, such as personal statements and/or interviews, and some courses will still require you to meet the full academic entry requirements.

Plus Icon Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs)

Disabled Students should apply now for support

If you have a disability, long-term health condition, mental-health condition or specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia, extra help is available in the form of Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs), and these don't have to be paid back.

If you’ve already applied for your main loans and grants, you can still apply for DSAs; download a form now from

If you haven’t applied for your main loans and grants - don’t wait, apply online now at

When you apply for your main loans and grants online just tick the button to apply for DSAs in the main application – you will be sent an application form.

Top tips

  • You should apply for DSAs now. It takes, on average, over 10 weeks from applying to getting support.
  • Photocopies of disability evidence are accepted - you don’t need to send originals.
  • If you’ve applied for DSAs and been told to book your assessment appointment, book it now. As soon as you’ve had your assessment you can get your equipment in place, ready for the start of term.
  • You can find a range of tools, videos and guides to help you apply quickly and successfully for your DSAs by visiting

Continuing students

Your DSA support will automatically be in place for next year, except if you are receiving DSAs only, or if you are part-time or post-graduate. When you apply for your main loans and grants just indicate that you want the support to continue

DSA only, part-time or post-graduate customers need to re-apply – go online and download a form now from

Plus Icon EU and International Qualifications

If you are applying from outside of the United Kingdom, or if your qualifications are from a country outside of the UK please refer to the International Study pages where you can find information on the qualifications required from your country Find Your Country

You can also contact our International Admissions Team on 0113 812 1111 or at for further advice on applying for our courses.

Plus Icon Fee Status Assessments

If your Nationality / Country of birth / Domicile are either all or some outside the UK and/or you have not been living in the UK in the last 3 years, then we may need to undertake a fee status assessment to determine whether you will be classed as a home or overseas student.

We will check this information when you submit your application and send you a form to complete if this is required.

Plus Icon DBS Checks and Health Checks

Some courses require applicants to complete a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check as part of the entry requirements. If a DBS check is required this will be specified in the entry requirements on the  Online Prospectus.

Applicants holding firm offers on courses which require DBS checks will be sent guidance on how to complete the online form by the DBS Team. For courses starting in September this will usually be around May/June each year, or around October for courses starting in January. You will need to complete the process and receive a DBS certificate before starting the course.

If you already hold a DBS certificate obtained through another organisation, you will still need to complete a new check.

Some courses also require applicants to complete a satisfactory health check before being accepted. Applicants holding firm offers will initially be required to complete a health questionnaire. Instructions will be sent at the same time as the DBS guidance as specified above.

The DBS in the UK is currently not able to conduct overseas criminal record checks. International applicants; those without British Citizenship and British Citizens with a significant period of overseas residency of 12 months or more after the age of 16; therefore, require a criminal records check or certificate of good conduct from their home/overseas country(ies) prior to entry on to the course. A UK DBS check will also be required prior to enrolment; the DBS team will send you guidance on how to apply following your offer of a place. The application process and timeframes for Overseas Police checks can differ from country to country and so it is recommended that you start the process as soon as possible after you have been made a conditional/Unconditional offer to ensure you have enough lead in time to obtain the check prior to enrolment. For some countries, an individual can only apply in person and so it is preferable for those applicants still resident in the relevant country, to apply before entering the UK.

Need information regarding the application process, including information for mature applicants and those wishing to transfer from another university? Our Admissions Team are happy to help with any issues you may have.

Admissions Policy
All applications to our University will be processed in accordance with this admissions policy.
Criminal Convictions Disclosure Policy
We welcome applications from those who have the potential to
succeed on our courses.  Having a criminal conviction will not necessarily
be a bar to enrolment. This document sets out our approach for managing
criminal convictions declared by any applicant applying for entry to our

This page was last modified: 16/07/2021

Tell us what you think

Back to Top Button